Join the Alabama Solar Tour
- Does this solar stuff really work?
- Is it worth the cost?
- How do I get started?
Cut your energy costs by going solar! Find out for yourself from other Alabamians who have
"Been There. Done That!" See how your neighbors are saving money by speaking with actual
homeowners who have taken steps to reduce our dependence on foreign energy sources and opted for
clean, renewable energy. The solution comes up each morning. All you have to do is take advantage
of it. Join more than 160,000 people across North America at the National Solar Tour.
The ASES National Solar Tour
is the world’s largest grassroots solar event. More than 160,000 participants will visit some
5,500 buildings in 3,200 communities across the U.S. This event is coordinated nationally by the
nonprofit American Solar Energy Society in collaboration with dozens of outstanding partner
organizations. It takes place annually during the first Saturday in October in conjunction with
National Energy Awareness Month.
Hunt Solar Garden Tour in Huntsville, Alabama, is open from 10 AM until 4 PM on Saturday,
October 6th. See an urban solar garden, a solar hot water system, an EnergyStar metal
roof, EnergyStar windows, and many more energy efficiency improvements. The Alabama Solar
Association will have “Firefly,” our portable solar trailer which will hopefully be then equipped
with a ham radio (Morton, KF4BOB). We will also have many solar displays to help explain show
solar works and how it can work for you.
Blount County Alabama Solar Home Tour is Alabama's oldest and most diverse solar tour. It is
open at various times on Saturday and Sunday October 6th and 7th.
- The Solar Tour is a three and a half-hour guided walking tour that includes 4 passive solar
houses with numerous solar and efficiency features. Viewing a nearby ranch house may be
scheduled before afternoon or after the morning guided tours. This house is retrofitted with a
battery grid tie solar PV system, an attached green house and geothermal heat pumps.
- The Tours will be at 9 am or 2 pm Saturday, October 6; and 2 pm Sunday, October 7. Come
join us for a brown bag lunch discussion and a film at noon on Saturday between the tours.
- The 4 passive solar homes have unique designs, one is insulated with bales of wheat straw,
another one is a dodeca–yurt, one features clerestory windows, and another one is built
- Energy efficient appliances include CFL and LED lighting, washing machines, ceiling fans,
a mini-split ductless heat pump and a super efficient homemade chest refrigerator and
- Active solar systems include solar water heating and battery based solar pv systems.
- You may see other items of interest such as: vegetative shading, organic gardens,
vermi-composting, rain water catchment, grey water usage, solar dehydrator, solar ovens and a
solar lawn mower.
- Plan to wear comfortable walking shoes for about a mile walk. Arrangements can be made
for those unable to walk that distance. Two of the houses are fairly wheel-chair friendly.
- There will be a brown bag lunch discussion at noon on Saturday. All are welcome to stay
after the Saturday morning tour or come early before the afternoon tour. Bring your lunch and
join us. We will provide lemonade. At 1 pm the film Kilowatt Ours will be shown.
- For those coming on Sunday the same film will be shown at 1 pm.
- To register, please e-mail
SolarTourAlabama@gmail.com for a registration form.
- Questions? Call Daryl @ 205-429-3088
C & S Solar Tour in Northport, Alabama is from 1 PM until 6 PM on
Saturday and Sunday October 6th and 7th. Contact tour host Chuck Jay at
firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 205-454-9371 for more information.
Enter to win an ASES Solar Sweepstakes prize!|
Just scan the code for a chance to win a
$2,500 gift certificate, a $1,000 gift certificate,
or a Goal Zero Portable Solar Charger!
Join us across Alabama on Saturday and Sunday, October 6 and 7, 2012.
See it for yourself.